by later hand, center left in pen and brown ink in pasted console: Giotto / fiorenti / no; by later hand, center right in pen and brown ink in pasted console: mori l'anno / 1336, è sepol / to in Sta. / Maria / del fiore
An unidentified Florentine 16th-century collector, who had two portions of a larger sheet mounted together, with added console panels and inscriptions; John Clerk, Lord Eldin [1757-1832], Scotland; (sale, Edinburgh, Winstanley and Sons, 14-29 March 1833, no. 225, as Giotto); Sir Archibald Campbell [1769-1848], Argyll, Scotland; J. M. Campbell, Crarae, Argyllshire [d. 1967]; Sir Ilay Campbell [1927-2017]; (his sale, London, Christie's, 26 March 1974, no. 54, pls. 20, 21, as attributed to Taddeo Gaddi); purchased by Ian Woodner, New York; by inheritance to his daughters, Andrea and Dian Woodner, New York, 1990; by distribution to Dian Woodner; gift to the NGA, 2016.
- Drawings by Bolognese and Other Masters Lent from a Glasgow Collection. Glasgow City Art Gallery, Glasgow, 1953, no. 41.
- Old Master Drawings from American Collections. Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles, 1976, no. 2 (as attributed to Taddeo di Gaddo Gaddi)(cat. by Ebria Feinblatt).
- Master Drawings from the Woodner Collection. J. Paul Getty Museum, Malibu, Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth, and National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1983-84, no. 1 (as Taddeo Gaddi or his circle)(cat. by George Goldner).
- Dibujos de los siglos XIV al XX: Colección Woodner. Museo del Prado, Madrid, 1986-87, no. 1 (as Circle of Gaddi).
- Meisterzeichnungen aus Sechs Jahrhunderten: Die Sammlung Ian Woodner. Haus der Kunst, Munich, and Albertina, Vienna, 1986, no. 1 (as Gaddi or Circle)(separate cats for each venue).
- Master Drawings: The Woodner Collection. Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1987, no. 1 (as Gaddi or Circle).
- Master Drawings from the Woodner Collection. Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1990, no. 1 (as Gaddi or Circle).
- The Touch of the Artist: Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1995-1996, no. 2 (entry by Laurence B. Kanter).
- Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2006 - 2007 (no cat.).
- Ward, Roger. "Master Drawings from the Woodner Collection, Washington, D.C." The Burlington Magazine 126, no. 973 (April 1984): 252 (under no. 1).
- Degenhart, Bernhard and Annegrit Schmitt. Corpus der Italienischen Zeichnungen, 1300-1450, I, Süd- und Mittelitalien. Berlin, 1968: part 1, pp. xxiv, 68-70, no. 25; part 3, pl. 50 (as Florentine c. 1340).
- Collobi, Licia Ragghianti. Il Libro de' Disegni del Vasari. 2 vols. Florence, 1974, 1: 28-29, 2: fig. 15 (as Florentine, end of the 14th Century).
- Gaigneron, Axelle de. "Les Nouveaux Choix de Mr. Woodner." Connaissance des Arts. 348 (February 1981): 76 (repro).
- Goldner, George. Master Drawings from The Woodner Collection. Santa Monica, CA, 1983 (exh. brochure), n.p., no. 1 (color).
- Russell, Francis. Review of Andrew Ladis, Taddeo Gaddi, 1982. The Royal Society of Arts Journal 132, no. 5332 (March 1984): 279 (as Gaddi).
- Melikian, Souren. "A Master Collector. Ian Woodner: An Eye for the Future." Art & Auction 10, no. 4 (November 1987): 85 (repro.).