The artist's heirs; purchased by the 7th Earl of Elgin (1824-1841); by descent to the 11th Earl of Elgin and the 15th Earl of Kincardine; (their sale, London, Sotheby's, 30 June 1986, lot 110); purchased by Ian Woodner, New York; by inheritance to his daughters, Andrea and Dian Woodner, New York, 1990.
- All'ombra del Vesuvio: Napoli nella veduta europea dal Quattrocento all'Ottocento, Castel Sant'Elmo, Naples, 1990, 407 (reproduced p. 147).
- In the Shadow of Vesuvius: Views of Naples from Baroque to Romanticism, 1631-1830, Accademia Italiana delle Arti e delle Arti Applicate, London, 1990, 128, as Naples from Mergellina (reproduced p. 83 and cover).
- Master Drawings from the Woodner Collection, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1990, no. 47.
- The Touch of the Artist: Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1995-1996, no. 97.
- Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2006 - 2007.
- Expanding Horizons: Giovanni Battista Lusieri and the Panoramic Landscape, Royal Scottish Academy Building, Edinburgh, 2012.
- Spinosa, Nicola. Pittura napoletana del Settecento dal Rococò al Classicismo. Naples, 1987: no. 342, pl. 75, as Napoli da ponente.
- Spinosa, Nicola and Leonardo Di Mauro. Vedute napoletane del Settecento. Naples, 1989: 161-162, no. 183, pl. 109, as Mergellina.
- Seta, Cesare de. L'Italia del Grand Tour: Da Montaigne a Goethe. Naples, 1992: 185 (reproduced), as Napoli da Mergellina.
- The Touch of the Artist: Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1995-1996: no. 97.