upper right reverse: MARK ROTHKO / 1955
The artist [1903-1970], New York; his estate; (Marlborough Gallery, New York); purchased 1970 by Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; gift 1992 to NGA.
Associated NamesMellon, Paul, Mr.
- Salute to Mark Rothko, Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, 1971, no. 10, as White and Orange.
- Art for the Nation: Gifts in Honor of the 50th Anniversary of the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1991, 410-411, color repro., as White and Orange.
- Mark Rothko: A Centennial Celebration, State Museum of Art, Riga; State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, 2003-2004, unnumbered brochures, cover repro. on St. Petersburg brochure.
- The Art of Mark Rothko: Selections from the National Gallery of Art, Washington, Museo de Arte Moderna, Mexico City; Hong Kong Museum of Art; Leeum, Samsung Museum of Art, Seoul, 2005-2006, brochures, no. 19, repro.
- American Artists from the Russian Empire, Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art, The University of Oklahoma, Norman; The State Russian Museum, St. Petersburg; State Tretiakov Gallery, Moscow; San Diego Museum of Art, 2008-2010, no. 99, repro.
- Mark Rothko: Selections from the National Gallery of Art, Academy Art Museum, Easton, 2012, no catalogue.
- Mark Rothko: A Retrospective, Gemeentemuseum Den Haag, The Hague; Hangaram Art Museum, Seoul Arts Center, Seoul; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Houston, 2014 - 2016, unnumbered catalogue.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 2017-2018.
- Grunenberg, Christoph. Mark Rothko. Washington, D.C., 1991: 14, fig. 12.
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 527, repro.