lower left: Philip Guston; across top reverse: PHILIP GUSTON "REVIEW" 1948-1949 / "40 x 59" N.F.S; under artist's name reverse, two crossed-out lines now difficult to read, but probably a New York City address
Studio of the artist [1913-1980]; by inheritance to his wife, Musa Guston; her estate; gift 1992 to NGA.
Associated NamesMcKee Gallery, David
- Philip Guston: Working Through the Forties, University of Iowa Museum of Art, Iowa City; Greenville County Museum of Art, South Carolina; Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute Museum of Art, Utica, New York, 1997-1998, no. 14, repro.
- Philip Guston, peintures 1947-1979, Kunstmuseum Bonn; Württembergischer Kunstverein Stuttgart,; National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa; Musée national d'art moderne, Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris, 1999-2000, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- In the Tower: Philip Guston, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2009-2010, no cat.
- Philip Guston: 50 Years of Painting, The St. Louis Art Museum, year unknown, no. 8. (Information from label on back of painting)
- Ashton, Dore. Philip Guston. New York, 1960: 33, repro.
- Storr, Robert. Philip Guston. New York, 1986: 21, no. 17, color repro.