Commissioned c. 1470 for the old church of San Domenico, Modena; church demolished and rebuilt 1708, and its paintings perhaps dispersed at that time. Baron Michele Lazzaroni, Rome, by 1925. Mrs. Felix Warburg, New York, by 1936; gift 1941 to NGA.
- Sanctity Pictured: The Art of the Dominican and Franciscan Orders in Renaissance Italy, Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville, 2014-2015, no. 45a, repro.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 251, repro. 156, as by Domenico Morone.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 48.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 41, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 124, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:174-175, II:pl. 121.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 150, repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, and David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 2003: 255-260, color repro.
- Howard, Peter. “Preaching to the Mob: Space, Ideas, and Persuasion in Renaissance Florence.” In Mobs: An Interdisciplinary Inquiry. Edited by Nancy van Deusen and Leonard Michael Koff. Leiden, 2012: x, 203, 223, fig. 1.