upper left verso in graphite by unknown hand: nassau / native hut; in graphite by the artist: Native hut at Nassau / Winslow Homer; lower center in graphite by unknown hand: No. 1 Frame
James W. Ellsworth, Chicago, by 1890; Lincoln Ellsworth, his son, probably 1925; Marie Louise Ulmer Ellsworth (Mrs. Lincoln Ellsworth), New York, by bequest, 1951; (Kennedy Galleries, 1965); Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA, c. 1972; gift to NGA, 1994.
- Water Color Views by Winslow Homer, Reichard & Co., New York, Dec. 1885, no. 1 (as Native Cabin)
- Winslow Homer and Walter Gay, Doll & Richards, Boston, 19 Feb.-3 March 1886, no. 3 (as Native Cabin)
- [James W. Ellsworth Collection], Art Institute of Chicago, 5 May-Nov. 1890 (as Natives' Hut at Nassau, N. P.)
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996, 239-240, no. 147, repro.
- An Enduring Legacy: Masterpieces from the Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1999-2000.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure.
- In Celebration of Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2016, no cat.
- Cooper, Helen A., Winslow Homer Watercolors, New Haven, 1986: 132.
- Kopper, Philip. America's National Gallery of Art: A Gift to the Nation. New York, 1991: 274.
- Winslow Homer. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996: no. 147.
- Unger, Miles, The Watercolors of Winslow Homer. New York, 2001: 127.127
- Tedeschi, Martha with Kristi Dahm. Watercolors by Winslow Homer: The Color of Light, Art Institute of Chicago, 2008: 170-171, fig. 1.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2012: IV.2, no. 1275, p. 331