lower right in black ink: S. Van Vranken / 1914 / "Generation"-Life-Cycle-Series No I. / Tinted Sketch for Synchromie in Red
Private collection, Bayside, NY (estate sale, 1988); private collection, U.S.; (Sotheby's, New York, 23 September 1993, no. 272); Robert Nowinski, Seattle; (Hirschl and Adler), New York; purchased by NGA, 1998.
- A Century of Drawing, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001-2002, no. 28.
- American Watercolor in the Age of Homer and Sargent, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, 2017, unnumbered catalogue.
- Robison, Andrew. :"Stanton Macdonald-Wright, Generation." Bulletin / National Gallery of Art, no. 21 (Spring 1999): 11, repro.
- A Century of Drawing. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001-2002: no. 28.
- National Gallery of Art. Highlights from the National Gallery of Art, Washington. Washington, 2016: 280, 281, repro.
- Foster, Kathleen A. American Watercolor in the Age of Homer and Sargent. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2017: 352, no. 300.