lower left side: degas [stamped replica of artist's signature]; on back of neck: Degas 7/G; stamped in same location: CIRE PERDUE AAHEBRARD
Marks and Labels
FM: A.A. HEBRARD
(A.A. Hébrard, Paris), 1920/1926; sold 12 July 1926 to (Flechtheim, Düsseldorf). P.W. Nerney; (sale, Sotheby's, London, 30 April 1964, no. 176); purchased by Mr. Betts, possibly of (P. & D. Colnaghi & Co., Ltd., London), for Paul Mellon [1907-1999], Upperville, Virginia; (sale, Sotheby's, London, 29 June 1988, no. 118, bought in); (sale, Kunsthaus Lempertz, Cologne, 4 June 1994, no. 116, bought in); gift 1995 to NGA.
- Nineteenth-Century Sculpture, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1974, unnumbered checklist.
- Pingeot, Anne. Degas Sculptures. Paris, 1991: no. 69.
- Campbell, Sara. "A Catalogue of Degas' Bronzes." Apollo 142 (August 1995): 14, no. 7.
- Czestochowski, Joseph S., and Anne Pingeot. Degas--Sculptures. Catalogue Raisonné of the Bronzes. Memphis, 2002: 135.
- Lindsay, Suzanne Glover, Daphne S. Barbour, and Shelley G. Sturman. Edgar Degas Sculpture. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2010: no. 62, 348-349, color repro.