lower right: John S. Sargent / Ronjoux 1879
Commissioned 1879 by Edouard Pailleron, Chambéry, France; by descent 1899 to his daughter, Marie-Louise Pailleron; by descent 1950 to her son, Henri Bourget-Pailleron; his widow; purchased 1964 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Salon de 1880, Palais des Champs-Élysées, 1880, no. 3428, as Portrait de Mme E.P.
- Exposition des cent ans de vie française: Centenaire de la Revue des deux mondes, 1829-1929, L'Hôtel Jean Charpentier, Paris, 1929, no. 754.
- John S. Sargent, 1856-1925, Centre Culturel Américain, Paris, 1963, no. 3.
- The Private World of John Singer Sargent, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Cleveland Museum of Art; Worcester Art Museum; Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, Utica, 1964-1965, no. 7.
- Art of the United States: 1670-1966, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, September-November 1966, no. 247.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, April-September 1966, unpublished checklist.
- John Singer Sargent at the Corcoran, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1983, unpublished checklist.
- John Singer Sargent, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Art Institute of Chicago, 1986-1987, unnumbered catalogue.
- Uncanny Spectacle: The Public Career of the Young John Singer Sargent, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, 1997, no. 9.
- John Singer Sargent, Tate Britain, London; National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1998-1999, no. 19.
- The Impressionist Tradition in America, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2003-2004, unpublished checklist.
- Great Expectations: John Singer Sargent Painting Children, Brooklyn Museum of Art; Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk; Portland Museum of Art, Oregon, 2004-2005, unnumbered catalogue.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no. 45.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2008, unpublished checklist.
- John Singer Sargent in the Corcoran Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 11 July 2009-3 January 2010, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013-28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Kilmurray, Elaine, and Richard Ormond, eds. John Singer Sargent. Exh. cat. Tate Britain, London; National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Princeton, 1998; Washington, 1999: no. 19, repro.
- Ormond, Richard, and Elaine Kilmurray. John Singer Sargent: The Early Portraits. The Complete Paintings, Volume I. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 25, repro.
- Simpson, Marc. "John Singer Sargent, Marie Buloz Pailleron (Madame Édouard Pailleron)." In Corcoran Gallery of Art : American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 148-149, 269, repro.