- Sort by:
- Results layout:
French, est. 1827 - renamed 1884
Goupil & Co.; Goupil et Deforge
Galerie Goupil was established in Paris by Adolphe Goupil (b. 1806) in 1827 as Goupil et Deforge on the boulevard Montmartre. At first specializing in old masters, the gallery eventually began to show contemporary artists, installed at a new primary location at 2, place de l'Opéra. Goupil eventually had branches in London, Berlin, Brussels, The Hague and New York. Goupil's daughter, Marie, married the painter Gérome (1824-1904). Etienne Boussod, another Goupil son-in-law, succeeded Adolphe as head of the Galerie Goupil in 1875 and from 1884 the enterprise was known as Boussod, Valadon & Cie, successeur de Goupil & Cie. The gallery continued to show academic artists such as Meissonier, Bouguereau and Gérome at it's main office, while the boulevard Montmartre rooms displayed less official artists like those of the Barbizon school. Boussod et Valadon/Goupil was directed from 1878 by Theo van Gogh, brother of the artist. Van Gogh proceeded, starting around 1884, to include works by the Impressionists. Van Gogh was succeeded as head of the gallery by Maurice Joyant [1864-1930], who with fellow Boussod et Valadon employee Michel Manzi [1849-1915] went on to establish his own gallery. Boussod et Valadon ceased operations in 1919, and its collections were dispersed at auction at Georges Petit. Stockbooks of the gallery are held by the Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles.