Scottish art dealer Daniel Cottier established a gallery in Glasgow c. 1864, at first specializing in interiors and furnishings. Cottier & Co. opened branches in London (I867), Sydney (I873) and New York (I873), after which he began to trade in paintings and watercolors as well. In New York this first took the form of American painting but after a few years he began to exhibit European art, particularly of the Barbizon and Hague schools. Cottier would acquire works in Europe, display them in the US and then sell at auction. He was succeeded in New York by James S. Inglis, until the firm was disbanded in 1909.
Dekkers, Dieuwertje. " 'Where are the Dutchmen?' Promoting The Hague School in America 1875-1900." Simiolus 24, no. 1 (1996): 62-64.