The business was established in Glasgow in 1863, with the London branch opening in 1903. Originally a seller of glass and moldings, by 1889 James Connell had added paintings and prints to his inventory. Later Connell specialized in Scottish paintings and eventually dealt in French 19th century paintings. His sons Thomas and David joined the firm in 1922.
Fowles, Frances in Millet to Matisse: Nineteenth- and Twentieth- Century French Painting from the Kelvingrove Art Gallery, Glasgow. Exh. cat, 2002: 204.