In 1930 Marie Norton became the second wife of W. Averell Harriman [1891-1986], who served as U.S. Ambassador to the Soviet Union (1943-1946) and Great Britain (1946), and as the Governor of New York (1955-1959). Marie had studied art and art history at Mrs. Spence's school, graduating in 1922, and had been the wife of Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney [b. 1899]. Marie Harriman founded an art gallery on East 57th street in New York in 1930, which she directed until 1942, when she closed the enterprise to devote her time to the war effort. After the war she didn't reopen the gallery, but concentrated instead on her husband's diplomatic and political career, and her own charitiable endeavors. She and her husband personally acquired a notable collection of paintings. Marie Harriman died in 1970, survived by her husband, and two children from her first marriage, Harry Payne Whitney and Mrs. Pierre Lutz.
The New York Times 27 September 1970 87:1 [obituary]
Yeide, Nancy H. "The Marie Harriman Gallery." Archives of American Art Journal 39, nos. 1-2 (1999):2-11.