Ide, Dora Donner; Donner, Dora; Ide, Dora Donner Estate of
Dora Donner was the daughter of philanthropist and businessman William H. Donner [1864-1953] and his second wife, the former Dora White Browning [d. 1952]. The elder Donner was born and raised in Indiana, attended Hanover College there in 1882-1883, worked in steel mills and became interested in the manufacture of tin plate. In 1894 he became manager of the National Tin Plate Company in Anderson, Indiana. Donner went on to be president of the Union Steel Company (1899-1903) the Cambria Steel Company (1912-1916) and his own Donner Steel Company (1916-1929). Acquainted with fellow industrialists Andrew Mellon and Henry Frick, William Donner served as a director of the Mellon National Bank of Pittsburgh and the Fidelity-Philadelphia Trust Company. After his retirement from business in the early 1930s, Mr. Donner devoted himself to his philanthropic activities, mostly directly toward research for the cure of cancer. In 1932 he gave two million dollars to establish the International Cancer Research Foundation; he also donated to radiology department of the University of Pennsylvania and in 1947 purchased a 64 room home in Palm Beach which he donated to the Institutuum Thomae of Cincinnati to be used as a laboratory for the study of cancer. In 1938 Mr. Donner relocated to Switzerland, following a dispute with the US federal government regarding income taxes. Dora was one of five children of William Donner, who married twice, in 1890 to Adella May Newson and in 1909 to Dora White Browning. Dora Donner's siblings are: William Henry Donner, Jr. [d. 1929], Robert Newson Donner, Joseph William Donner and Elizabeth Browning Donner Hanson. In 1940 Dora Donner married aviation pioneer John Jay Ide [1892-1962], the great-great-grandson of John Jay, first Chief Justice of the United States.
The New York Times, 4 November 1953 [obituary for William Donner]
The New York Times, 13 January 1962 [obituary for John Jay Ide]