Max G. Bollag [b. 1913] opened his Zurich gallery in 1937, having grown up in an art dealing atmosphere. His father, Léon Bollag [1876-1958] had opened his gallery with brother Gustave [1873-1953] in Zurich in 1913. His mother, Betty Moos, worked with her brother Max Moos at their Geneva gallery. Between 1940-1947 Max G. Bollag located his gallery in Lausanne, returning to Zurich to reopen his gallery there on Storchengasse. Public auctions in Zurich were severely limited when Max first opened his gallery; through his initiation or the "Swiss Society of the Friends of Art Auctioneering" he was able to hold monthy auctions. The gallery moved several times, finally to Werdmülestrasses in 1963 where it continues today as Bollag Galleries, run by his daughter Arlett and her husband Toni Hutmacher. Max Bollag retired in 1998.