In 1890 Abraham Preyer had taken over the well known Amsterdam auction house of Van Pappelendam & Schouten. Preyer became known as a dealer in pictures primarily of The Hague School, and remained based in The Hague and Amsterdam until c. 1918, when he settled in Paris. In 1894 he opened a branch in the US, called the Holland Art Galleries which lasted until about 1897 when the contents were sold at auction at the American Art Association. At his death he left a bequest to the Musée du Luxembourg (now Musée d' Orsay). Other portions of his collection were sold at auction in Amsterdam.
Les Donateurs de Louvre. Paris, 1989:298
Dekkers, Dieuwertje. " 'Where are the Dutchmen?' Promoting The Hague School in America 1875-1900." Simiolus 24, no. 1 (1996): 67-68.