William Bainter O'Neal was Professor Emeritus, Architectural History, School of Architecture, University of Virginia. He received a bachelor of architecture degree from Carnegie-Mellon University in 1930, attended Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, 1932-1934, and Oxford University in 1949. Mr. O'Neal was a member of the faculty, School of Architecture, University of Virginia, 1946-1972; Curator, University of Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, 1950-1959; Director, Programs Division, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 1961-1962; Editor, the Publications, and the Papers, for the American Association of Architectural Bibliographers, 1954-1972; Founding Governor, American Association of Architectural Bibliographers; Founder of the Department of Architectural History, School of Architecture, University of Virginia. He was named a member of the Raven Society in 1971; Fellow, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts; Fellow, Royal Society of Arts, 1959. He was born August 21, 1907 in Zanesville, Ohio and died October 11, 1994 at the University of Virginia Medical Center. (Excerpted from obituary)
The Sculpture Garden will open on Saturday, June 20, with limitations. The East and West Buildings are currently closed to the public. All on-site events are canceled through December 31, 2020. Learn More.