Galerie Maeght had its beginnings in a department store in Cannes opened in 1936 by Aimé Maeght [1906-1981] and his wife Marguerite [d. 1977]. Gradually the store began to sell paintings; Marguerite made the acquaintance of the painter Bonnard and began to sell his work while Aimé was in reserves training in 1940. After the war, the Maeghts relocated to Paris, and opened their gallery, which is today run by their son Adrien and his children.
Nahon, Pierre. Les marchands d'art en France: XIXe et XXe siècles. Paris, 1998: 187-195.