Martín Ramirez (d. 1569) provided in his will for the establishment of this chapel in Toledo, Spain, intended as part of a convent of Carmelite nuns. His heirs delayed construction, however, and transformed the building into a family burial chapel. El Greco was commissioned in 1597 for an ensemble of paintings for the chapel, including Saint Martin and the Beggar (now NGA 1942.9.25) and Madonna and Child with Saint Martina and Agnes (now NGA 1942.9.26). Still displayed above the main altar is El Greco's Saint Joseph and the Christ Child. The basic source on the chapel (Halldor Soehner, Una obra maestra de Le Greco: la Capilla de San José de Toledo. Translated. Madrid, 1961: 15-17) maintains that this was the first chapel in Europe dedicated to Saint Joseph.
Soehner, Halldor. Una obra maestra de El Greco: la Capilla de San José de Toledo. Translated. Madrid, 1961: 15-17