María Teresa was the daughter of the Infante Don Luis de Borbón [1727-1785], younger brother of Charles III, and his wife María Teresa de Vallabriga y Rozcas. The Infante, forced to relinquish his ecclesiastic career due to his scandalous behavior, further alienated his family upon his marriage to a woman of less than noble rank. For this reason, the Infante and his family were not allowed in Madrid, and the children were prohibited from using the family name Borbón. When her father the Infante died in 1785, the young María Teresa was placed in a convent in Toledo where the archbishop supervised her education. In 1797 she married Manuel Godoy, duque de Alcudia y de Sueca, first minister to Charles IV from 1792-1798 and 1802-1808. At the time of their marriage it was speculated that the king and queen pressured María Teresa to take Godoy as her husband to improve his position. María benefitted as well from the union, as she and her brother regained the right to the Borbón family name and the titles of their father the Infante. The Queen awarded María Teresa the highest award that could be given a woman, the Order of the Queen, and in 1803 María Teresa became the Condesa de Chinchón when her brother relinquished the title. Godoy was removed from office during a coup d'état in 1808; María Teresa left him at this time. From 1822 until her death in 1828, María Teresa lived in Paris. Godoy and María Teresa had one child, a daughter, Carlota Luisa de Godoy y Borbón [1800-1886].
Ezquero del Bayo, Joaquín and Luis Perez Bueno. Retratos de mujeres españos del siglo XIX. Madrid, 1924: 38
Salcedo Ruiz, Angel. La epoca de Goya. Madrid, 1924: 211
Camón Aznar, Jos. Francisco de Goya. 4 vols. Saragossa, 1984: 3: 122
Gassier, Pierre. "La contessa de Chinchon." Goya nella collezioni private de Spagna. Exh. cat. Collezione Thyssen-Bornemisza, Lugano: 16-24
Brown, Jonathan, and Richard G. Mann. Spanish Paintings of the Fifteenth through Nineteenth Centuries. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1990: 27-31