Böhler and Steinmeyer, Inc.; Kunsthandel AG, Böhler and Steinmeyer; Julius Böhler Kunsthandel AG; Galerie Julius Böhler
Julius Böhler (1860-1934) established his gallery in Munich in 1880, moving into a large building on the Briennerstrasse in 1904. From 1928, the Munich gallery was managed by Böhler's younger son Otto Alfons Böhler, grandson Julius Harry Böhler (1907-1979), and partner Hans Sauermann. Julius Harry and his son, Dr. Julius Gustav Böhler, managed the firm after World War II, and after his father's death in 1979, Julius Gustav relocated the gallery to the Pacellistrasse. In 1995, after Julius Gustav's retirement, his nephew Florian Eitle-Böhler took over the firm; he moved the gallery to the city of Starnberg at the end of 2004.
Julius Böhler's oldest son, Julius Wilhelm Böhler [d. 1966], in partnership with Fritz Steinmeyer, founded Böhler and Steinmeyer in Lucerne circa 1920. This gallery was later known as Kunsthandel AG Lucern. From 1923-1934 the partners also had a branch of Böhler and Steinmeyer in New York, and from 1928-1932 a branch by the same name in Berlin. According to Julius Gustav Böhler, the firm had close relations with Kleinberger in Paris and New York.
In addition to the records held by the firm in Starnberg, there are inventory cards of Julius Böhler Munich at the Getty Research Institute in Los Angeles, and records also at the Bayerisches Wirtschaftarchiv in Munich.
Francini, Esther Tisa, Anja Heuss and Georg Kreis, Fluchtgut-Raubgut: Der Transfer von Kulturgütern in und über die Schweiz 1933-1945 und die Frage der Restitution. Zurich, 2001:244-245