F. Kleinberger and Co.; F. Kleinberger Galleries, Inc.
Franz Kleinberger established his gallery in Paris in 1848 and became an important exporter of old master painting to the United States. By 1913 Kleinberger had opened a New York branch of the gallery. Some of his collection was sold at the American Art Association in New York on 18 November 1932. After Kleinberger's death in June 1937 the gallery was run by it former vice president, Harry G. Sperling [d. 1971]. During World War II the French branch of the gallery was run by Ali Loebl under the corporate name of "E. Garin." Loebl [1928-1969] had been associated with the firm since the late 1920s, and was the successor in title to Kleinberger in France. After the war the Parisian Gallery resumed the name Kleinberger. Some records of the Kleinberger Galleries are within the Duveen papers at the Getty Research Institute.