William Davenport was authorized by Royal License on 13 January 1868, to discontinue the surname of Davenport before that of Bromley (which an ancestor had added by Royal License in 1822), and to take the surname of Davenport in addition to, and after that of Bromley, and to bear the arms of Davenport quarterly with that of Bromley. He had been educated at Harrow and Christ Church, Oxford, and on 6 July 1858 married Augusta Elizabeth Campbell [d. 1916]. They had large family of three daughters and four sons, of whom the eldest son Sir William succeeded his father in the Capesthorne Hall (Cheshire) estate. Bromley-Davenport served as a Deputy Lieutenant and Justice of the Peace, and for twenty years (1864-1884) was a Member of Parliament for North Warwick. In addition, he was a Lt.-Col. in the Staffordshire Yeomanry Cavalry.