Lawrie & Co. was the London branch of the Scottish firm of Thomas Lawrie & Son, which had been established in Glasgow by 1850. The gallery sold Hague school and nineteenth century French paintings as well as works by Scottish artists. Thomas' son, W.D. Lawrie was in partnership with the London dealer Sulley by as early as 1888, and it was he who set up the London branch in 1892.
Fowles, Frances in Millet to Matisse: Nineteenth- and Twentieth- Century French Painting from the Kelvingrove Art Gallery, Glasgow. Exh. cat, 2005: 200