Arnold Seligmann was the younger brother and partner of Jacques Seligmann [1858-1923], a prominent art dealer in Paris and New York. In 1912 after an argument with Jacques, Arnold maintained sole ownership of the gallery at 23 Place Vendôme, under the name Arnold Seligmann & Cie., while Jacques consolidated his activities in Paris at the Palais de Sagan as J. Seligmann & Cie., later J. Seligmann et Fils. Jacques had also opened a New York branch of his business, located in the former E.H. Harriman house at 705 Fifth Avenue. The New York branch was managed beginning in 1920 by Jacques' son Germain [1893-1978]. Arnold Seligmann died c. 1935, and was succeeded in the business by his son, Jean, who was executed by the Nazis during World War II. Following Jean's death, Jacques' two sons managed the Seligmann enterprises: François-Gerard in Paris and Germain in New York. A sale of Arnold's estate was held in Paris, at Charpentier's, on 4-5 June 1935.
Seligman, Germain. Merchants of Art: 1880-1960. New York, 1961.