Auction house founded in Dordrecht in 1839 by S[imon].J[acobus]. Mak van Waay (1804-1880).In 1919 his grandsons Anton [1881-1956] and Simon [Siem] Jacob [1875-1945] Mak van Waay expanded into Amsterdam. In 1923 the two branches split, with Anton remaining in Dordrecht and Siem Jacob directing the Amsterdam firm. After the death of Anton, new ownership took over the Dordrecht branch. Sotheby's acquired the Amsterdam location by 1974.