Acquired possibly 1905 from the artist by Mr. and Mrs. John W. Simpson, New York; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Rodin: Sculpture, Drawings, Prints, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1946, no. 17, as Man and Woman.
- Wax Sculptures by Degas, Sculptures and Drawings by Rodin, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965-1966, no cat.
- Rodin Rediscovered, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1981-1982, no. 79, as Embracing Couple.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 169, as Study for "The Lovers," Gates of Hell.
- Spear, Athena Tacha. Rodin Sculpture in the Cleveland Museum of Art. Cleveland, 1967: 63, 99-100.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 148, repro., as Study for "The Lovers," Gates of Hell.
- Frel, Jiri, and Harvey West. Rodin: The Maryhill Collection. Exh. cat. The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles; Washington State University, Pullman. Pullman, 1976: 28-29.
- Tancock, John. The Sculpture of Auguste Rodin. Philadelphia, 1976: 228-230.
- de Caso, Jacques, and Patricia B. Sanders. Rodin's Sculpture: A Critical Study of the Spreckels Collection. San Francisco, 1977: 178-183.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 204, repro.
- Le Normand-Romain, Antoinette. Le Baiser de Rodin. Exh. cat. Musée Rodin, Paris, 1995: 15-16, 66-67.
- Butler, Ruth, and Suzanne Glover Lindsay, with Alison Luchs, Douglas Lewis, Cynthia J. Mills, and Jeffrey Weidman. European Sculpture of the Nineteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 335, 337-338, color repro.