lower left: P.PUVIS DE CHAVANNES; lower center in border of fruits, flowers, and musical instruments: LE REPOS
Sold by the artist c. 1872 to (Durand-Ruel, New York and Paris). Hiltbrunner Collection, by 1887. (Durand-Ruel, New York and Paris). John G. Johnson [1841-1917], Philadelphia, by 1888; sold 1899 to Peter A. B. Widener [1834-1915], Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; Inheritance from the Estate of Peter A. B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Exposition universelle, Paris, 1867, no. 526.
- Sixth Exhibition of the Society of French Artists, Durand-Ruel, London, 1873, no. 119.
- Celebrated Paintings by Great French Masters, National Academy of Design, New York, 1887, no. 58.
- Exposition de tableaux, pastels, dessins par M. Puvis de Chavannes, Galeries Durand Ruel, Paris, 1887, no. 14.
- Puvis de Chavannes, Palais du Louvre, Paris; National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, 1976-1977, no. 40.
- Pierre Puvis de Chavannes, Rijksmuseum Vincent van Gogh, Amsterdam, 1994, no. 29, repro.
- Arcadia by the Shore: The Mythic World of Puvis de Chavannes, The Bunkamura Museum of Art, Tokyo; Shimane Art Museum, Matsue, 2014, no. 13, repro.
- Roberts, William. Pictures in the Collection of P.A.B. Widener at Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania: British and Modern French Schools, Philadelphia, 1915: unpaginated, repro.
- Paintings in the Collection of Joseph Widener at Lynnewood Hall. Intro. by Wilhelm R. Valentiner. Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, 1931: 194, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Widener Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1948 (reprinted 1959): 101, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 105.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 93, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 276, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 320, repro.