Probably executed for a member of the Medici family. In the later 19th century, possibly in private collections in Paris and London. (Charles Sedelmeyer, Paris), by 1914; sold May 1925 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York). Geneviève Garvan Brady [Mrs. Nicholas F. Brady, became in 1937 Mrs. William J. Babington Macauley], Manhasset, Long Island, New York, by 1932; William J. Babington Macauley; on consignment from 1939 with (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); sold January 1942 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1943 to NGA.
- Cincinnati Art Museum, 1925 (according to the Duveen prospectus in NGA curatorial files; can not be confirmed).
- The Third Loan Exhibition of Old Masters. A Loan Exhibition from Detroit Private Collections, Detroit Institute of Arts, 1926, no. 6, as by Botticelli.
- Recent Additions to the Kress Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1946, no. 714.
- Money and Beauty: Botticelli and the Renaissance in Florence, The Bunkamura Museum of Art, Tokyo; Kitakyushu Municipal Museum of Art, Kitakyushu-shi, 2015-2016, no. 54, repro. (shown only in Tokyo).
- Hundred Masterpieces of the Sedelmeyer Gallery. Paris, 1914: 132, no.63, repro., as by Fra Filippo Lippi.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. The Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1944: 30, repro., as by Botticelli.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 54, repro., as by Botticelli.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 17.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XIII-XV Century. London, 1966: 123, fig. 337.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 10, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 38, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. Washington, 1979: 1:84-85; 2:pl. 56, as Studio of Botticelli.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 57, repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, and David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 2003: 146-151, color repro., as by Botticelli.