Probably Jacopo Luis Francesco Pablo Rafael FitzJames-Stuart, 8th duke of Berwick and 15th duke (duque in Spanish) of Alba [1821-1881], Liria Palace, Madrid; (Alba sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 7-20 April 1877, no. 1 under Italian tapestries, as Ferrarese 16th Century). Baron d'Erlanger, Paris, by 1880. Marsden Jasiel Perry [1850-1935], Providence, Rhode Island, by 1913; sold to (French and Company, New York); inheritance from Estate of Peter A.B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, after purchase 1 November 1921 by funds of Joseph E. Widener; gift 1942 to NGA.
- L'Exposition nationale belge, Ancien Champ des Manoeuvres, Brussels, 1880, no. 84.
- Exposition rétrospective d'art industriel, Musée royal armures et antiquités, Brussels, 1888, no. 3002 (catalogue by Canon Reusens).
- Inventory of the Objects d'Art at Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, The Estate of the Late P.A.B. Widener. Philadelphia, 1935: 122.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 34, color repro. 35.
- Ainsworth, Maryan Wynn. "Bernart van Orley, Peintre-Inventeur." Studies in the History of Art 24 (1990):plate 1, 43-49.