in watercolor, lower right: W HOMER 1873
Lawson Valentine, New York, by 1878; Lucy Houghton Valentine (Mrs. Lawson Valentine), 1891; Almira Valentine Pulsifer (Mrs. Nathan Trowbridge Pulsifer), her daughter, 1911; Harold Trowbridge Pulsifer, New York, her son, nd; Susan Nichols Pulsifer (Mrs. Harold Trowbridge Pulsifer) in trust, 1948; Alice Pulsifer Doyle (Mrs. Joseph Doyle), his niece, 1987; Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; bequest of Mrs. Paul Mellon to NGA, 2014.
- First Annual Exhibition of the American Society of Painters in Water Colors Held at the Galleries of the Brooklyn Art Association, 8- March 1875, no. 216 (as What is It?)
- Seventh Annual Exhibition, American Works Not Before Exhibited, New York Athletic Club, 1 April 1893, no. 21
- Loan Exhibition of Paintings by Winslow Homer, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 6 Feb.-19 March 1911, no. 25
- Water Colors by Winslow Homer, The Museum of the Brooklyn Institute, 16 Oct.-7 Nov. 1915; The Century Association, New York, 8 Dec. 1915-c. 14 Jan. 1916, no. 15
- Winslow Homer & John Singer Sargent: An Exhibition of Water Colors, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1-27 Nov. 1917; The Cleveland Museum of Art, 30 Nov.-31 Dec. 1917; Toledo Museum of Art, Jan. 1918; Detroit Institute of Arts, 2-28 Feb. 1918; Minneapolis Institute of Arts, March 1918; Milwaukee Art Institute, April 1918; City Art Museum of Saint Louis, 5-c. 26 May 1918; Memorial Art Gallery, Unviersity of Rochester, New York, 6 June-7 July 1918, no. 2
- Winslow Homer Centenary Exhibition, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 15 Dec. 1936-15 Jan. 1937, no. 38
- The Art of Winslow Homer, Bowdoin College Museum of Fine Arts, Brunswick, Maine, and Art Department of Colby College, Waterville, Maine, 1-21 Nov., and 1-21 Dec. 1954
- Yankee Painter: A Retrospective Exhibition of Oils, Watercolors, and Graphics by Winslow Homer, University of Arizona Art Gallery, Tucson, 11 Oct.-1 Dec. 1963, no. 34
- Winslow Homer, 1836-1910: Oils, Watercolors, Drawings, Wood Engravings, William A. Farnsworth Library and Art Museum, Rockland, Maine, 10 July-7 Sept. 1970, no. 24
- Winslow Homer, Watercolors, Bowdoin College Museum of Art, Brunswick, Maine, 7 May-19 June 1983, no. 2
- Winslow Homer in the 1870s: Selections from the Valentine-Pulsifer Collection, The Art Museum, Princeton (New Jersey) University, 10 Feb.-11 March 1990; Wadworth Atheneum, Hartford, Connecticut, 18 March-15 April 1990, no. 4
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2005: II: no. 458, p. 236
- American Watercolor in the Age of Homer and Sargent. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2017: 88, no. 70.