Acquired at auction in Boston c. 1878 by William S. Eaton, Boston; by descent to his son, Francis S. Eaton, Boston. William Francis Cochran Ewing, New York; (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), by 1946; purchased 5 June 1950 by Oliver B. James, Oyster Bay, New York and Phoenix; (M. Knoedler & Co., New York); purchased 24 April 1961 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Long-term Loan, Musuem of Fine Arts, Boston, 1926.
- Summertime, U. S. A., Knoedler Galleries, New York, 1953, no. 11.
- Progress of an American Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 25 October-29 December 1963, unpublished checklist.
- Winslow Homer's Images of Blacks: The Civil War and Reconstruction Years, Menil Collection, Houston; Virginia Musuem of Fine Arts, Richmond; North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh, 1988-1989.
- Figuratively Speaking: The Human Form in American Art, 1770-1950, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 20 November 2004-7 August 2005, unpublished checklist.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March-27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 302, repro.