upper right: Horace Bonham / 79-
The artist [1835-1892]; by inheritance to his wife, Rebekah Lewis Bonham; purchased between 1896 and 1898 by Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York; [his sale, American Art Association, New York, 14-18 February 1899, no. 232]; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Fifty-fourth Annual Exhibition, National Academy of Design, New York, 1 April - 31 May 1879, no. 104.
- Art Loan Exhibition, Heights Club, New York, 8-20 March 1898, checklist no. 5.
- Loaned Paintings by American Artists, Union League Clue, New York, 13-15 January 1898, no. 27
- The Private Art Collection of Thomas B. Clarke, New York, American Art Association, New York, 14-17 February 1899, no. 232.
- Life in America, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 24 April - 29 October 1939, no. 234.
- Exhibition of Paintings of Negro Subjects by White American Artists, Howard University Gallery of Art, Washington, 9 March - 12 April 1942, unnumbered checklist.
- The Portrayal of the Negro in American Painting, Bowdoin College Museum of Art, Brunswick, Maine, 1964, no. 50.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, unpublished checklist.
- The Good Life: An Exhibition of American Genre Painting, St. Petersberg, FL; Loch Haven Art Center, Orlando, 1971, no. 4.
- American Narrative Painting, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1974, no. 67.
- Of Time and Place: American Figurative Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Cincinnati Art Museum; San Diego Museum of Art; University of Kentucky Art Museum, Lexington; Hunter Museum of Art, Chattanooga; Philbrook Art Center, Tulsa; Portland Art Museum, Oregon; Des Moines Art Center; Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, Florida, 1981-1983, no. 17.
- Facing History: The Black Image in American Art, 1710-1940, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Brooklyn Museum, 1990, unnumbered catalogue.
- Figuratively Speaking: The Human Form in American Art, 1770-1950, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2004-2005, unpublished checklist.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, NY; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no. 37.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Paintings from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 6 June - 18 October 2009, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Strong, Lisa. "Horace Bonham, Nearing the Issue at the Cockpit." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 144-145, 152, 268, repro.