William Wilson Corcoran [1798-1888], Washington; gift 10 May 1869 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, as Girl with Pets; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- First Annual Exhibition of the Washington Art Association, Washington Art Association, 1857, no. 71.
- Thirty-fourth Annual Exhibition of the National Academy of Design, National Academy of Design, New York, 1859, no. 621.
- American Genre: The Social Scene in Paintings & Prints, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 26 March-29 April 1935, no. 61, as Girl and Pets.
- American Life in a Century of American Art, The Memorial Art Gallery of Rochester, 1935, no. 24, as Girl and Pets.
- An Exhibition of American Genre Paintings, Department of Fine Arts, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 13 February-26 March 1936, no. 57, as Girl and Pets.
- The Century Club Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 July-13 September 1993, unpublished checklist, as Girl and Pets.
- American ABC, Iris B. Gerald Cantor Center for the Visual Arts, Stanford University; Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington; Portland Art Museum, Oregon, 2006-2007 (shown only in Washington).
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 20, 304, repro.