by a later hand reproducing the original signature, lower right: Painted by Rembrandt Peale from Pine's Washington
Estate of the artist; (M. Thomas & Sons, Philadelphia, November 18, 1862, no. 80); Levi Taylor [d. 1871], Philadelphia; his son, John Dickson Taylor [1825-1886], Philadelphia; his daughter, Alice Taylor [Mrs. Harrison L.] Townsend, Philadelphia; (sale, Stanislaus V. Henkels, Philadelphia, June 13, 1922, no. 34); Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1947 to NGA.
- The Late Rembrant[sic] Peale's Collection, The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1862, no. 682.
- Exhibition of Portraits by Early American Portrait Painters, The Union League Club, New York, 1923, no. 9.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928-1931, unnumbered and unpaginated catalogue.
- Extended loan for use by Blair House, Washington, D.C., 1943-1961.
- Early American Portraits and Silver, J. B. Speed Memorial Museum, Louisville, Kentucky, 1947, no cat.
- Extended loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1976-1978.
- Extended loan for use by the Ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, Stockholm, Sweden, 1982-1986.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Otto J. Reich, U.S. Embassy residence, Caracas, Venezuela, 1986-1989.
- Extended loan for use by Justice David Souter, The Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 1991-2009.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928, unnumbered.
- Morgan, John Hill, and Mantle Fielding. The Life Portraits of Washington and Their Replicas. Philadelphia, 1931: 384, no. 3.
- Mahey, John A. "The Studio of Rembrandt Peale." The American Art Journal I, no. 2 (Fall 1969): 33-34, no. 80, fig. 7.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 88, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 206, repro.
- Scheflow, Carrie H. "Rembrandt Peale: A Chronology." Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography 110, no. 1 (January 1986): 179.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 257, repro.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 64-68, color repro.