lower right: Etas Sue 43 / 1719
H.H. Staats, Poughkeepsie, New York. R.H. Staats, Arthursburg, New York. (Charles Woolsey Lyon, Inc.); by whom sold 28 November 1917 to Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931]; sold by Clarke's executors to (M. Knoedler and Co., New York), from whom it was purchased in 29 January 1936 as part of the Clarke collection, by the Andrew W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift to NGA, 1947.
 According to 1928 Clarke exhibition catalogue annotated with information from files of M. Knoedler & Co., NY (copy in NGA curatorial records and in NGA library). Staats was formerly recorded as a possible descendant of Van Vechten, but this cannot be verified. [The Library of Congress held a Genealogy of the Staats Family (1921), but this study was listed as missing in the library's inventory of April 1980.]
- Exhibition of Paintings by Early American Portrait Painters, The Union League Club, New York, November 1921, no. 1, as Johannes Van Vechten by Pieter Vanderlyn.
- A Loan Exhibition of the Earliest Known Portraits of Americans Painted in This Country by Painters of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries, The Century Association, New York, 1925, no. 5, as Johannes Van Vechten by Pieter Vanderlyn.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928-1931, unnumbered and unpaginated catalogue, as Johannes van Vechten by Pieter Vanderlyn.
- Merchants and Planters of the Upper Hudson Valley 1700-1750, Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg; Albany Institute of History and Art; Museum of American Folk Art and New-York Historical Soc., New York, 1967, unnumbered brochure.
- The American Primitive Painting Exhibit, organized by the Triton Museum of Art, Santa Clara, California, de-Saisset Art Gallery, University of Santa Clara, 1968.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 154, repro., as by Unknown American.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 300, repro., as by Unknown American.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: 14, repro. 15, as by The "Aetatis Suae" Limner.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 334, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 335-337, repro. 336.