Possibly painted for the main of the church of Sant'Agostino, Matelica (Macerata). Citernesi, Florence; purchased May 1883 by Sir John Charles Robinson [1824-1913], London; sold February 1894 to Sir Francis Cook, 1st bt. [1817-1901], Doughty House, Richmond, Surrey; by inheritance to his son, Sir Frederick Lucas Cook, 2nd bt. [1844-1920], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Herbert Frederick Cook, 3rd bt. [1868-1939], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Francis Ferdinand Maurice Cook, 4th bt. [1907-1978], Doughty House, and Cothay Manor, Somerset; sold June or July 1947 to (Gualtiero Volterra, London) for (Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi, Florence); sold July 1948 to the Samuel H. Kress Collection, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
- Exhibition of the Work of Luca Signorelli and His School, Burlington Fine Arts Club, London, 1893, no. 15.
- Loan Exhibition of the Cook Collection of Primitive and Early Renaissance Paintings (1350-1550); venues: municipal art galleries of Norwich, Sheffield, Leicester, Blackpool, Manchester, Southampton, Brighton; tour by Art Exh. Bureau, 1946-1947, no. 13.
- Luca Signorelli "de ingegno et spirito pelegrino", Galleria Nazionale dell'Umbria, Perugia, 2012, no. 50, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1945-1951. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 64, no. 21, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 90, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 122.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 109, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 96-97, fig. 232.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 324, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:427-428, II:pl. 306
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 108, no. 81, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 372, repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 2003: 643-648, color repro.