in a later hand, upper right: Sir John Dick of Braid, Bart / Knight of St. Anne of Russia. / Born 1719-Died 1804. / by Gilbert Stuart 1782.
Painted for Sir Alexander Dick, 3rd Baronet [1703-1785], Prestonfield, Scotland; by descent to his great-grandson, Sir Robert Keith Alexander Dick-Cunyngham, 9th Baronet [1836-1897], Prestonfield, Scotland; his son, William Stewart Dick-Cunyngham, 10th Baronet [1871-1922], Prestonfield, Scotland; (T. H. Robinson, London, 1921); (M. Knoedler & Co., New York); purchased 14 October 1921 by Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection on 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A. W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1954 to NGA.
- Scottish National Portraits, Edinburgh, 1884, no. 456
- Portraits Painted in Europe by Early American Artists, The Union League Club, New York, January 1922, no. 4.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928-1931, unnumbered and unpaginated catalogue.
- American Painting, Art Resources Traveler (Artmobile), Illinois, 1967-1968.
- Extended loan for use by the Ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, 1970-1974.
- Selected American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, University Center Gallery, University of Tennessee, Chattanooga, 1974, no cat.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Utah Museum of Fine Arts, The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, 1976-1982.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Ronald Lauder, U.S Embassy residence, Vienna, Austria, 1986-1990.
- Forbes, Mrs. Athol, ed. Curiosities of a Scots Charta Chest. Edinburgh, 1897: 308-316.
- Smith, Mrs. J. Stewart. The Grange of St. Giles, and the other Baronial Homes of the Dick-Lauder Family. Edinburgh, 1898: 126-136.
- Strickland, Walter G. A Dictionary of Irish Artists. 2 vols. Dublin and London, 1913: 2:414.
- Fielding, Mantle. "Paintings by Gilbert Stuart not mentioned in Mason's Life of Stuart." Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography 38 (1914): 321, no. 43.
- Sherman, Frederic Fairchild. "Current Comment: Exhibitions." Art in America 10, no. 3 (April 1922): 143-144.
- Park 1926, 287-288, no. 246, repro.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928, unnumbered.
- Whitley, William T. Gilbert Stuart. Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1932: 10-11
- Morgan, John Hill. Gilbert Stuart and his Pupils. 1939. Reprint. New York, 1969: 13.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 102, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 229, repro.
- McLanathan, Richard. Gilbert Stuart. New York, 1986, color repro. 50, 51.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 346, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 169-172, repro. 171.