William Henry Donner [1864-1953], Montreux, Switzerland; his children, Robert Donner, Elizabeth Donner Hanson, and Dora Donner Ide; gift 1954 to the NGA.
- Extended loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1961-1962.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Norfolk Museum of Arts and Sciences (now Chrysler Museum), Norfolk, 1967-1972.
- Extended loan for use by The Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 1981-
- Nagler, K.G. Neues allgemeines Kunstler-Lexikon. 3rd edition, 24 vols (reprint of the 1835-1852 edition). Leipzig, 1924: 24:459.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 140.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 127, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 376, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 438, repro.
- Ormond, Richard and Carol Blackett-Ord. Franz Xaver Winterhalter and the Courts of Europe. Exh. cat. National Portrait Gallery, London, 1987: 190.
- Eitner, Lorenz. French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part I: Before Impressionism. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 370-373, repro.