Admission is always free Directions

Open today: 10:00 to 5:00

Provenance

Eugene Piot [1812-1890], Paris; (his sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 25-30 April 1864, no. 29); Louis-Charles Timbal [1821-1880], Paris;[1] sold with his collection 1872 to Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); purchased 1944 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.

Exhibition History
2008
Rinascimento e Passione per L'Antico. Andrea Riccio e il suo tempo, Museo Castello del Buonconsiglio, Trento, 2008, no. 17, repro., as by Andrea Riccio (?).
Bibliography
1931
Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection. Reliefs and Plaquettes. Oxford, 1931. vol.II, 128.
1965
Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: no. 204.
1983
Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 88, no. 3.
1989
Lloyd, Christopher. "Two Large Plaquettes in Oxford from the Collection of C. D. E. Fortnum." Studies in the History of Art 22 (1989):216, repro. 217.
1989
Sturman, Shelley, and Barbara Berrie. "Technical Examination of Riccio Plaquettes." Studies in the History of Art 22 (1989):177, 186, repro.