around bottom circumference on crescent: SVPER TENEB[R]AS NOSTRAS MILITABOR IN GENTIBVS; center left in Greek: cf. waning moon; center right: ILLVMINA VVLTVM TVVM deu
Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his heirs; purchased with the entire Dreyfus collection 9 July 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); sold 31 January 1944 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Seymour, Charles. Masterpieces of Sculpture from the National Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1949: 172, note 7, repro. 38.
- Hartt, Frederick. 'Review: Charles Seymour Jr., Masterpieces of Sculpture from the National Gallery of Art." College Art Journal 10 (Winter 1951): 205.
- Hill, George Francis, and Graham Pollard. Renaissance Medals from the Samuel H. Kress Collection at the National Gallery of Art. London, 1967: no. 525.
- Jones, Mark. The Art of the Medal. London, 1979: 9-10.
- Pollard, John Graham. Renaissance Medals. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. 2 vols. Washington, 2007: 2:no. 598, repro.