lower right on parapet: 1839 / CHARLES DAVID
Jacques-Victor, comte de la Béraudière [1808-1884], château de Bouzille, near Angers, France; by inheritance to his son, comte de la Béraudière, château de Bouzille; his widow, Marie-Thérèse, comtesse de la Béraudière, Paris; (her sale, American Art Association, New York, 11-13 December 1930, no. 42); purchased by (H.E. Russell) for Chester Dale [1883-1962], New York; bequest 1963 to NGA.
- Portraits of Women Loan Exhibition: Romanticism to Surrealism, Museum of French Art, New York, 1931, no. 3, as David d'Avignon, Portrait of a Young Girl.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- "Portraiture: Examples at the French Museum and Elsewhere." The New York Herald Tribune (25 January 1931): section VIII, 8.
- The New York Evening Post. 24 January 1931: Saturday Photogravure Section., repro.
- Town & Country (15 April 1931): color repro. on cover.
- Kuh, Katherine. "The Artist Looks at Children." Saturday Review of Literature (14 December 1963): 36.
- MacNeil, Neil. "Chester Dale: Collector." McCalls (November 1963): 123, repro.
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Paintings & Sculpture of the French School in the Chester Dale Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 31, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 37.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 31, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 94, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 115, repro.
- Eitner, Lorenz. French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part I: Before Impressionism. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 191-193, color repro.