lower left: Chase
(Savoy Art & Auction Galleries, 14 November 1953, as Vase of Chrysanthemums); Chester Dale [1883-1952], New York; bequest 1963 to NGA.
- William Merritt Chase: A Retrospective Exhibition, Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, New York, 1957, no. 116, repro.
- A Festival of Flowers, Montclair Art Museum, New Jersey, 1961, no. 9.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- Pavière, Sydney H. A Dictionary of Flower, Fruit and Still-Life Subjects. 3+ vols. Leigh-on-Sea, England, 1964: 3:28, fig. 10.
- Paintings other than French in the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 39, repro.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 40, repro.
- Gerdts, William H., and Russell Burke. American Still-Life Painting. New York, 1971: 201, repros. 194, 199.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 129, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 10, no. 47, color repro.
- Gerdts, William H. Painters of the Humble Truth: Masterpieces of American Still Life 1801-1939. Columbia, Missouri, 1981: 151.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: 186, repro. 187, as by William Merritt Chase c. 1878
- Foshay, Ella. Reflections of Nature: Flowers in American Art. Exh. cat., Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1984: 107, color repro. 114.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 141, repro.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 316-317, color repro.