George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- [Exhibition], Arkansas Arts Center, Little Rock; Arkansas Artmobile state-wide tour, 1966-1968 (organized by Department of Education, State of Arkansas).
- Catlin Paintings Exhibit, Albrecht Gallery [now The Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art], St. Joseph, Missouri, 1969-1970.
- Inaugural Exhibition and Loan for display with permanent collection, Texas Technical University Museum, Lubbock, 1970-1974.
- Extended loan for use by the Ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, Dublin, Ireland, 1975-1978.
- Extended loan for use by Secretaries Drew Lewis, Elizabeth Dole, and James Burnley III, U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C., 1982-1989.
- North American Indian Paintings by George Catlin (NGA National Lending Service exhibition), Delaware Art Museum, Wilmington, 1990-1991.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 26.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 56, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 60, repro.