lower center: Geo. Catlin 186[2?]
George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Phoenix Art Museum, 1968-1969.
- Catlin Paintings Exhibit, Albrecht Gallery [now The Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art], St. Joseph, Missouri, 1969-1970.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Strauz-Hupe, U.S. Embassy residence, Brussels, Belgium, 1972-1977.
- Extended loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1982-1989.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 28.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 88, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 78, repro.