lower left on card: A/277; upper center on board on applied paper: 212; lower center on board in white chalk, inverted: 74; upper center reverse in graphite: Box 25; center reverse in graphite: No 6; lower center reverse in graphite, inverted: 1 M [illegible] 15 1/4 21 3/8
George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Indiens des deux Ameriques, Salle du Jardin Botanique, Brussels, 1870, no. 212.
- Catlin's Indian Cartoons, Somerville Gallery, New York, 1972, no. 212.
- Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., 1872.
- Possibly Centennial Exhibition, Philadelphia, 1876.
- George Catlin, American Indians: Paintings from The Collection of the American Museum of Natural History, Kennedy Galleries, Inc., New York, 1956.
- An Exhibition of Paintings and Lithographs by George Catlin, Artist Historian, Tennessee Fine Arts Center, Nashville, 1971, no. 27.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, W. H. Over Dakota Museum, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, 1972-1976.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Edward Madigan, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C., 1991-1993.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 31.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 61, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 64, repro.