George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Opening of the West, Newark Museum, 1955, no cat.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Phoenix Art Museum, 1968-1969.
- Catlin Paintings Exhibit, Albrecht Gallery [now The Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art], St. Joseph, Missouri, 1969-1970.
- [Catlin exhibition], Art Museum of South Texas, Corpus Christi, 1973.
- Pictures of the American Indian by George Catlin, Gibbes Art Gallery, Charleston, South Carolina, 1973, no. 31.
- George Catlin, Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, 1981-1982.
- The Rocky Mountains: A Vision for Artists in the Nineteenth Century, Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, Wyoming, 1983, no. 108.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassadors Gerald P. Carmen, U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Mission residence, Geneva, Switzerland, 1984-1989.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Morris B. Abram, U.S. Ambassador to the UN Mission residence, Geneva, Switzerland, 1989-1993.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 32.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 63, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 65, repro.