George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Exhibition of George Catlin Paintings, Allentown Art Museum, Pennsylvania, 1970.
- George Catlin: Painter of the Indians of the Americas, Sordoni Art Gallery (Opening Exhibition), Wilkes College, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, 1973, no. 24, repro. (misnumbered as 34).
- Extended loan for use by Secretary William T. Coleman, Jr., U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C., 1976-1977.
- Sudamerica: Pinturas de George Catlin, Museo Franz Meyer, Mexico City; Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, Buenos Aires; Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino, Santiago, Chile, 1989-1990, no. 27, color repro. (organized by United States Information Agency).
- South American Indian Paintings by George Catlin (NGA National Lending Service exhibition), The Museums at Hartwick College, Oneonta, New York, 1992.
- South American Indian Paintings by George Catlin (NGA National Lending Service Exhibition), The Lowe Art Museum, The University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida, 1994-1995.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 36.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 36, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 106, repro.