in later hand, lower left verso in brown ink: Guido Reni
J. Richardson, Sr. (Lugt 2184); John Bouverie (died 1750; the Bouverie mark, Lugt 325, was probably applied at the time of the 1859 sale, below); his nephew, Mr. Christopher Hervery (d. 1786); his aunt, Elizabeth Bouverie (d. 1798); by inheritance to Sir Charles Middleton (1726-1813); by descent to his grandson, Charles Noel (1781-1866), who was created 1st Earl of Gainsborough in 1841 (sale, Christie's, London, 20 July 1859, lot 134); purchased by Allen, but remained in the possession of, or was acquired back by, the Earl; by descent within the family (sale, Christie's, London, 23 November 1971, no. 112); NGA purchase (via Yvonne Tan Bunzl, London) in 1972.
- Exhibition of Italian Art of the Seventeenth Century. Burlington Fine Arts Club, London, 1925, 46, no. 2.
- NGA Recent Acquisitions 1974, no. 30.
- Guido Reni: Zeichnungen, Albertina, Vienna, 1981, no. 105.
- Bolognese Drawings in North American Collections, 1500-1800, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, no. 38 (Catherine Johnston and Mimi Cazort).
- Kurz, Otto. "Guido Reni." Jahrbuch der Kusnthistorischen Sammlungen in Wien 11 (1937): 218.
- Kurz, Otto. Bolognese Drawings of the XVII & XVIII Centuries in the Collection of Her Majesty the Queen at Windsor Castle. London, 1955 (and reprinted Bologna, 1988): 120, under no. 354.