lower left in black watercolor: Key West- / Jan 1886; lower right in brown: Winslow Homer; upper left verso in graphite by unknown hand: Key West native / Winslow Homer NA; center verso in graphite by unknown hand: 12 3/8 x 15 3/8
Thomas B. Clarke, New York, by 1893; (American Art Association, 14-18 Feb. 1899. Clarke sale. no. 310); Frank Rockefeller, Cleveland, 1899; Alice M. Rockefeller, Cleveland, his daughter, probably by bequest, 1917; Charles R. Henschel, New York, 1943; (George E. Gage, Cleveland, c. 1943); Ruth K. Henschel (Mrs. Charles R. Henschel), New York, 1956; gift to NGA, 1975.
- [sixty-six watercolors by nineteen artists], J. Eastman Chase, Boston, c. 10-c. 31 Dec. 1888 (as Florida Landscape and Figure)
- Fifth Annual Art Loan Exhibition, New York Athletic Club, 4 April 1891 (as A Key West Native)
- American Oil Paintings and Watercolors Loaned and for Sale. First Annual Summer Exhibition of the Art House, The Art House [Thomas B. Clarke], New York, 9 June-through Aug. 1893, no. 52 (as A Key West Native)
- Paintings by American Artists from Studios and Private Owners [auction], Fifth Avenue Art Galleries, New York, 8 March 1985, no. 23 (as Beneath the Palm Tree)
- Private Art Collection of Thomas B. Clarke [auction], American Art Association, New York, 7-18 Feb. 1899, no. 310
- Oils and Watercolors by Winslow Homer, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 3 Oct.-2 Nov. 1944
- Water Colors by Winslow Homer from the Collection of Mrs. Charles R. Henschel, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 6 July-12 Sept. 1962, no. 4
- Watercolors by Winslow Homer, 1836-1910, Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, 7 July-28 Aug. 1966, no. 20
- Winslow Homer (1836-1910): Watercolors, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 28 Sept. - 14 Dec. 1975.
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1995-1996, 243-245, no. 153.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2005-2006.
- Downes, William Howe. The Life and Works of Winslow Homer. Boston and New York, 1911: 130, fig. p. 122.
- Winslow Homer. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996: no. 153.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2012: IV.1, no. 1334, p. 402